06 October 2007

On Being Brave




A few days ago I read about a new project on Maddie's blog, inspired by this quote from Eleanor Roosevelt:

Do one thing every day that scares you.

I immediately realised the thing that I most long to do that scares me more than anything else would be to give up my job and really committ to creating the life of my dreams. So I wrote the project off straight away as not being for me because its impossible right now, I'm not ready, its too big, I have to wait until January, its easy for them, I can't even do small acts of bravery because there really is only one act to do and so on and so on.

The idea stayed with me though. Every night while writing out my dreams of what I'd like a year from now, I'd write "I live in Grananda..." and think "That's going to take much longer than a year". Why? Is anything really stopping me? So, I've let bravery take over my thinking. There is a big restructure going on at work at the moment and even if I keep my job, it will be very different to the job I have now. My real passion is coaching and I will still get to do that, but only privately. When I got back to work after a few days holiday last week, the old sick feeling came back and I started to feel panicky so I decided it was time to be brave and get creative.

What are some of the great possibilities that could come out of this change and how could I start getting the life I really want?

I could move to Spain and work teaching English in companies which I loved when I was there which would mean I'd get to build good relationships with people in lots of different companies and build up a coaching practice out there. I'd also get to assist on Spanish coaching training and possibly even start interpreting on courses. And I'd be truly in love with my life! If my long term goal is to live in Spain and work full time as a coach, does my nice job with a big company get me closer to that dream or keep me stuck?

So thank you to Maddie and Jessie, I've joined the be brave project and today applied for jobs in Madrid and Seville!

No comments: